Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN phone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuddy15

MIS
Apr 9, 2008
US
We have deployed over 40 VPN phones at many different (mostly reidential)locations with good success. We do have a couple minor issues of the phone rebooting when not used but the persons PC not experiencing the same issue. The PC stays up throught the day and is plugged into the same router. Is anyone else experiencing these issues and is this common?

I've got 1 vpn phone in production and have been fighting random reboots for a while. My user's reboots happen while he's on the phone and while not on the phone. The only thing we can figure is it's some kind of software glitch.

Could be the vpn/dhcp lease expiring after 24 hours.

-CL

what model of vpn phone are you using

[Started on Version 3 software 15 years a go]

I'm also using/have tried 4610 & 4621.

05150914 - What vpn end point are you using?

customcracka.

We are using Cisco for our VPN.

Hmm we are using a SG200 so I guess that's not the culprit if phones are rebooting on yours also. I keep waiting for avaya to come out with new vpn firmware for the phones but no luck so far.

Is this just am IP phone connected by a vpn to the media server?

The phone could be losing contact with the MS. Bad Internet. It would not affect the PC. It would recover from the lost packets.

rejackson:

yes it is connected to the media server via VPN. It's possible that it could be the internet and voice being more sensitive but these phones are not being used at the time of the reboot they are just connected to the VPN. There is no traffic being passed other than the VPN connection which is setup the smae way as if you were connecting through your PC. Both the PC and phone are using the same router so if there is a blip in the internet the VPN connection for both should fail.

I setup a syslog server on my tftp box to see if the phones would send anything interesting. Here's an example of a line of data:

01-29-2009 09:50:50 Local5.Notice XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 4733 00:07:3B:D3:50:AE Connected (08325 Mins:00 Failovers) through XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX, Free mem 03094 KB, IPsec stats sent:206677,r_drops:15,rcvd:110225

Now I can't find any documentation on how to read what the phone is sending but I'm guessing "r_drops" is lost packets. The phone that I'm having trouble with had a huge r_drops number last night. This morning it's not as high.

This leads me to believe it's a connection problem on the vpn phone's end.

Fixed my problem. There was a setting in the SG200 vpn concentrator called "lifetime throughput." This setting said after a certain amount of data was passed over the vpn tunnel it would kill it. It was set to 1 MB! I changed it to 1 GB and so far no more problems. Might be something you can check.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back