Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Phone no longer receives calls after upgrade to 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

iposcn

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2007
US
Our 4621 Phones running VPN firmware are no longer receiving calls since the upgrade to 5.

The phones are able to connect to the system and dial out with no issues but if you dial the ext given to that phone it drops the call.

I also tested a bridged appearance on the user and it also does not ring.

The phones connect to a Sonicawall and nothing has changed on the network side.

Anyone have any ideas where to start? Is there new VPN firmware with 5 that I am missing?

TIA

Make yourself a hotdesk user and login on the phone you want to use.
That way you always take your buttons and voicemail light with you.

ACS IP Office or is it ACSS :)
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

The way twinning is working now is the way it has always worked as far as I know. Regardless I may have a solution, you could renumber the VPN phone to something like 8209 then twin the handsets again and make a shortcode of 3209 with the feature "DialPhysicalExtnByNumber" and tel number of 8209 (or whatever you made it) that should force the system to ring that handset regardless of twinning,forwarding etc. The message light will not work however :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"What the Crocodile Hat....was that?

Why so difficult ?

Key word is hotdesking.
There is no need to ring two phones while you only can answer one.
So I say again

hotdesking
hotdesking
hotdesking
hotdesking
hotdesking

Thanks all. tlPeter, I concur that hotdesking is a very sufficient way to do it. The only reason I want it the other way is that it is dummy proof. the end (l)user does not have to do anything to get it to work. Again, thanks, I really appreciate all of the responses.

Then try mobile twinning.
Although normal twinning should work too!

dummy proof

if the customer cannot even use the hotdesk feature then they should buy a antique line system that cannot be programmed and because of that it will be fully dummy proof

So add a Dummy user that can Hotdesk?!

Avaya_Red.gif

Dain Bramaged

No need even for Hotdesking, just log the VPN phone in as that users extension and that will force the desk phone to go to no user, then when they go back in the office they have no option other than to log that back in as the correct extension and in doing so it will log the VPN handset off if they have forgotten to do so :)

That is called hotdesking Andy :)
login out an extension is something different.

I am talking about logging in the extn not the user, as in there is no little red hotdesk logo in Manager doing it this way, it actually forces the extn off as oppose to the user :)

useless discussion here as the solution is given but refused because the customer is a "dummy".
who IS the dummy here, the engineer who cannot convince the customer to use the best and only option assuming the customer IS a dummy?
I my experience most customers are definetly no dummies but just lazy.

I am not a user or maintainer but I am lazy too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back