Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borsin

Programmer
Oct 29, 2001
CA
Hello,

I have setup VPN on our server and client machines. The connection and everything works fine. However the performance seems to be slow. The clients are connecting over cable internet connections, and the server has an ADSL connection. I was wondering if anyone had ideas how to speed up the performance, or is VPN always sluggish?

Thanks in advance

What is the upload limit on the ADSL line? Unless its SDSL, you usually have two speeds (like 768k down/128k up.) In this case you have the number of clients sharing basically two dialup modems...

What about the upload limits to the cable modems too? I am not familiar with these, but it would make sense that the provider is restricting upload speed there too...

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I'm not sure about the cabel, however the ADSL speeds are 384 kbps up and 1728 kbps down. Also there is only ever one client on the VPN at a time. If you have any other ideas, I would like to hear them.

Really nice DSL! Ok, what encryption routine are you using, and do you have a certificate authority installed? If you monitor the server while a VPN connection is active are you seeing large resource useage? What about the clients? Are they using large resources for the encryption?

(I know we previously specified a seperate VPN server with hardware encryption because of the overhead encryption was going to place on our old NT server. We have gone another route and do not have any VPN though, so I cannot be sure this will still make such an impact.)

Alex

There encryption is currently turned off, and certificate authority is not installed. If you have any other ideas or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back