Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN, or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcward

Technical User
Apr 10, 2004
US
I need to access an inventory file at a remote location - I was hoping that VPN would be the answer. Here is the setup:

We have two locations, running QuickBooks Enterprise edition for manufacturers and wholesalers. Both locations are running XP Pro and workgroups, rather than client-server. The remote location has two users, the host location has five. We have ADSL at both locations, with static IP addresses. I have configured VPN and am able to log on to the host server, but that's where the fun begins. Network Connections shows that I'm connected to the remote system, but that's it - nothing shows up in network places. If I can get to the point where I can browse the remote system and address the inventory file, I'm in like Flynn - any suggestions?

First, do both subnets have different IP ranges? Meaning, Site A is 192.168.1.x and site B 192.168.2.x? They cannot be the same.

Second, once connected can you ping one of the other machines by IP address? You may need to add hosts and Ips to your HOSTS file, C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Try those suggestions and post back...

Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

I'm not sure I understand why you say the subnets should be a different range - I can see that there should be no duplicate IP's, but intuition would suggest that the subnet should accommodate addresses in the same range on both sides of the tunnel.

after the tunnel is up do START>RUN>\\remote_computername

Click ok, when the window opens drag the folders you need to your desktop and choose create shortcut

Routers cannot route between 2 same subnets. When you connect thru VPN, it is over RRAS (Routing and Remote Access), so your server acts as a router for the VPN clients. They cannot have the same IP as your subnet. One way to do this, although I have not tried this way, is to create a VPN pool of off subnet addresses to hand out. Otherwise you will never be able to get past the server...

Thanks,

Matt Wray

GFH

Thanks - that helps clarify things. I'll check this out and let you know. Appreciate the assist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back