Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN onto Windows 2000 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonroda

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
GB
Hi
We have just set up VPN remote access to our network using Cisco router/firewall.
The plan is to use XP Pro for remote users to hop onto their windows 2000 client pc's (remote desktop)
I have been advised that this is not possible with windows 2000 but am not conviced.
Can anyone help please

Win2K Pro clients do not come equipped with 'Terminal Services' - which is the underlying 'guts' of remote desktop/Fast user switching etc. etc - This was ONLY built into Win2000 Server when W2K was released.

Basically, what you have heard is therefore correct. You cannot remote desktop onto a Win2K client, although it is possible (and quite easy, even for W2K) to remote desktop onto WinXP - which has terminal services (and all the functionality it provides) built right into it.

Therefore, if you want to control a Win2K Pro desktop remotely you will need 3rd party software, ie PC-Anywhere...

Hope this helps.

Terry-Lee Blay
MCP, A+, Net+, Server+, APS, IBM Thinkpads/Portables
webwarrior@angelfire.com

Try dameware for remote desktop any o/s...orelse for better security go for secure id cards for remote access...net meeting can also do the trick in win 2k..

REalVNC is nice also. We use it to connect to a variety of platforms including NT4 and Win2k. One thing I don't like about it, i it can be a bit slowed, esp. VS terminal services.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back