Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN on DSL connecting at 9600bps (win98)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfauvel

Programmer
Apr 17, 2001
US
I am using win98 with a DSL modem to connect to our company's VPN server, but my connection states that it connected at 9600bps.

At a previous job, using my DSL modem I connected to the VPN at 10,000,000bps. I may have been using win95 back then.

I've noticed that the download speed of my files is NOT as bad as a true 9600bps connection, but it is NOT as good as a true 10,000,000bps connection like I use to have.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

There are a number of questions that will need to be addressed. These are just a few of them.

1. Who is the provider of the DSL service?
2. What VPN software is being used?
3. How is your normal DSL usage? (i.e Web, FTP)
4. Have you tweaked you windows settings?

If you have not checked or tweaked any of the windows settings, try this URL and see if that helps at all;

Without knowing which VPN software package you are using, it will be hard to tell where the problem may lie.

1...provider is Verizon/GTE
2...on win98 using DUN of LAN...at server side using RAS on win2000
3...Normal usage of dsl is for web browsing and is pretty fast....my package is for 768k down and 128k up...I average 300-500k down.
4...That is a very open ended question... I may have...who knows. :)

I will check out the site, though.

Look at Technet article Q263614. It may explain why you are getting 9600 baud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back