Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN NEWBIE HELP to connect WINXP to WRV54G 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich5150

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
What do you guys recommend me do. Use the CISCO VPN client to connect to the WRV54G router from a remote location, or should I use the internal XP IPSEC stuff? Can someone provide me with a URL or instructions on how to set up the CISCO VPN software..step by step, or the WINXP IPSEC?

I would appreciate it!

Thanks much

Rich

I wouldn't bother with the WRV54G, after 10 frustrating hours with Linksys Tech support and trying to figure it out myself, it seems that the IPSec, once enabled, messes up your internet connection.

You will soon realize that this $200 overpriced piece of junk is in its infancy. Do what I did, go get Sentinel SSH for free, the Linksys BEFVP41 and a Wireless G Access Point, and find instructions on Tek-Tips on how to install. Took me 10 minutes and it works without a problem.

Oh that note, I feel like every VPN router is not user friendly - it's not a hard concept but it's hard to get right.

Well I setup a VPN Using the Windows 2000 Server (IPSEC) at work, it works very well (though it's only a small office). Ya lots of people tried to tell me I needed to go out and get some fancy smancy VPN Router. The only problem I had was going to hell and back trying to find.figure out what ports i needed open (this was before my Tek-Tip Days) The ports needed open are: 1723, 500 , 47. Hope this helps... and depending on your needs you might be able to get away with an SSL VPN.

Hey Cutty201,

You are referring to that PICTURE by PICTURE setup arn't you? Well I thought I followed that to a tee, but I was using Xp at the time.. so I dunno if that matters...

Thanks for the help though, I'll try it and see what I can come up with..

THanks guys

Rich

Rich,

If you search for WRV54G in the forums, you'll fine the answer to your problems. It's PROTOCOL 47, not Port 47.

When you specify VPN Port Forwarding 47 on TDP and UDP, it is trying to use protocol 7 and 16 (it's a bug in the firmware). You will need to download the configuration, search for "VPN" or "GRE" or whatever you named your port forwarding rule and change the protocol 7 and 16 to 47.

I refused to do this go around not to mention the tunnels DO NOT WORK.

Get the BEFVP41 ($110) and it works right out of the box. Then you can get a Wireless G Access point so your router is not integrated with (possible) planned obscelecent technology.

Does anyone have a copy of the free SSH Sentinal? i can't find it online anywhere. If so, and you wouldn't mind emailing to me, please let me know.

Thanks

You should be able to pick it up here.

ftp://ftp.up.ac.za/pub/linux/ssh/pub/sentinel/

(thanks to Deeno for the link!)

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back