Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN newbie advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisio1944

Technical User
Sep 29, 2007
GB
Hi,
I have set up VPN on windows Server 2003 enterprise using the default values including allowing it to issue IP addresses using DCHP. From a client PC I can connect and gain authorization however it then drops out giving an error 733 which I believe is something to do with not issuing an IP address, If I change from DCHP to me giving a range of IP addresses to choose from I can then connect successfully, however I cant access any resources? The range of IP addresses is the same as the other client pcs on the network in the range of 192...... is this correct or am I specifying the wrong range of addresses?

Your help is appreciated

Chris

What are you trying to accomplish, connecting a remote site to your server? If this is the case your better using a VPN router at each location. I have been working with VPN's over 3 years and using Windows alway presents issues.

What I am trying to achieve is to access the resources of the server such as network drives and printers etc, but also and more importantly admin the server (active directory and so on.

After some more playing about I have discovered that when I connect to the vpn through the exposed IP of 172.101.*.* the vpn assigns a new ip address to the server of 196.168.*.* if I use this IP address I can map to the network drives and printers no problem, BUT i cant admin the server as the ip address im using doesn't seem to be resolving to the internal domain name.

To clarify.
Using VPN and allowing windows to dish out the IP addresses using DCHP I can connect and gain authorization to connect to the network but then it drops out with Error 733
Changing things around to me specifying the IP addresses (And all I did when I did this was to pick some free addresses in the same range as my local networked PC's) Allows me to connect OK but I cant access full resources on the network.

I think it has something to do with the range of IP addresses i'm using but not sure really.

Help is appreciated
Chris

Ok are you off site though? You can use Terminal Services to admin the server via remote desktop. Sounds like to me you are remote and the reason VPN is dropping maybe a DNS issue.

Inded a DNS issue, assumably when you are assigining IP addresses via DHCP, DNS servers would also be issued? But when assigning static addresses DNS addresses are not being assigned.

Try adding them in manually on the client in VPN properties > Networking > TCP/IP and see if you can connect to anything this way.

Mike

Michael Firth
DIY MCSE

~If it's not broke, break it and LEARN~

Ok, all the local clients on the network are assigned IP addresses automatically via DCHP and they are totally fine and no problem at all. The problem is when allowing DCHP to dish out the IP address to my VPN connection it will connect and then drop out with the error 733. when I specify the range of IP addresses in the propety window of the VPN I can then connect ok and map to network drives/printers ok as long as I specify the IP address and not the actual internal domain name. This is proving to be a problem as I cant remote access any desktops other than the server as it cant locate the pc's on the network etc, And I also cant use ACTIVE DIRECTORY to administer any users as it cant find the correct domain.

Thanks
Chris

Thanks for that dberg35, its annoying as I have allready checked all of that and its all fine. Iam going to have another play about with it to try and resolve. Do you think if I uninstall the vpn totally and then reinstall it, that it would help... just wondering if I have messed a setting up somewhere...

Thanks
Chris

It is possible. I know I will never use Windows to control VPN as there can a lot of issues. I would suggest however in the future use a VPN router like Netgear FVS318. I use that to connect 2 sites to my main location.

Thats brilliant, I have just found one on ebay and have stuck a bid on it as its currently at a silly low price. if im luck and win this, do I put it between the internet connection and my server and then just follow the instructions to set it up?

Thanks again Chris

You will need one at each location to creat the tunnel. Your internet will plug into the router anf the router into your network. Now the router can do DHCP but if that is running on you server then make sure it is disabled. If you do not have a static IP at each site then go to dyndns.org and sign up for that. When you are ready config is not to bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back