Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jundalabee

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2003
Hi,

I was talking to a work colleague yesterday. He told me of a piece of software that he had heard of but we couldn't find.

I basically want to do this......

Using my ADSL, VPN into work. However when I VPN into work I want to make it virtual, so my original internet connection is still unaffected. (ie. 1 "real" network, and 1 "virtual" for VPN.)

I am aware that I can do this through VMWARE, but I wish to do it in a much more simplified way, without the overhead.

My work colleague thought it was called VPN NAT??

Any helpers??

What your colleague is referring to was probably called "Split Tunneling".

NAT - Network Address Translation. This is a way to protect your IP address by "disguising" it as another (I'll let smarter people than I get into further detail).

The problem with Split Tunneling is that it opens up your internal network to a possible attack via the machine attached to the VPN. It isn't something that is to be done lightly from a security perspective.

OK thanks, it does seem risky. I know what NAT is. I only used that name because thats what my friend named the app.

I might just keep using VMWare workstation.

Thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back