Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN + Local Access with 2 NIC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

osuman

Technical User
Nov 22, 2000
US
I have a machine that I need to have access to both a customers network through Nortel Contivity VPN client and to our local LAN.

I thought that I could accomplish this by putting an additional NIC in the machine. Essentially I want 1 interface to be used for the Nortel VPN and one not so that it will stay on our LAN.

The problem is that the VPN client seems to be using both interfaces as I can't ping either when the VPN is connected. I didn't see any setting in the Contivity client for which interface to use. Is this configurable in Windows somewhere?

It seems it should be possible to do accomplish what I want this way. Is there another way to do it?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

By default, VPN gateway is default gateway. To fix this problem, madify the routing table manually. this link may help,

One router goes to the corporation email server and another one goes to the
Internet Route command and examples Routing issue if the the LAN and VPN are in ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Actually the Nortel Client will not let you modify the routing table once connected. It will disconnect as a security precaution.

What you want to do is called split-tunneling and in the case of the Contivity client, this is controlled on the server side. The VPN administrator has configured the VPN to send all traffic up the tunnel.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do on the PC.

If you absolutely need access to both, then one option is to install Virtual PC on your PC and connect to the clients network via the virtual PC while using your PC to stay connected locally. You can access your local HD from the virtual PC.

snantin,
Thanks for the post. You are correct, the client disconnects a little after I modify the routing table.

Unfortunately, Virtual PC won't work for me since it's an application that I need to have access to both the remote network and the local.

It looks like I'll have to figure something else out.

The Nortel VPN client really sucks.

Thanks for the info. I will see if I can get our customer (who owns the VPN gateway) to set this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back