Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN issue - Overlapping Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlf1957

IS-IT--Management
Mar 7, 2003
US
We have a SonicWall PRO3060 with Standard O/S at home office and have defined multiple VPNs for our remote customers who access our iSeries400.

My dilemma is that we will shortly have another customer whose network IP structure is the same as an existing customer. This really doesn't seem to be that remote a possibility. I am thinking someone must have run into this before but can't seem to find the solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

RickF

rlf1957

Do you mean same internal IP address scheme?

In my 30 years I have never seen 2 companies have the same external IP address - because their domain name is tied to that address.

Now when a user on another network goes out to the internet thier internal address is translated to the external ip address which should be unique that why we have ran out of IP address in this world.

How do you have your VPNs set up - because the customers IP address shouldn't matter. Take for example a traviling salesman - If he VPN in from one hotel he would have the hotels IP address when he goes to another he will get a different IP address for that hotel the sonic wall doesn't care as long as he can authenticate.

b

Hello rphips,

I do refer to the 'Internal' IP numbers. I am confused as to why they matter also. I mean each VPN rule has the gateway IP address for each customer's firewall.

ie Cust1 g/w 999.999.999.999
IP range 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.256

Cust2 g/w 888.888.888.888
IP range 192.168.1.1 thru 192.168.1.256

Doesn't the g/w actually define the VPN?

I must apologize for my ignorance towards these matters, it is my first attempt at trying to understand how this all works. It has been put in place while I watched over the shoulder.

Thanks
Rick

Hi Rick, one question: do the customer's need to talk to each other? If not this shouldn't be a problem because they are going through different VPN tunnels.

Roger White CISSP, CISA, CISM, GSEC
Certified SonicWALL Instructor
Certified Security Architect and Auditor
SonicWALL Curiculum Developer and Senior Trainer
SonicWALL Academy
(718)450-8127

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back