Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN IP Confusion???

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnriqueI

IS-IT--Management
Aug 6, 2007
US
I'm connected to an internal network that is not mine (although I have changed my home's IP address config from 192.168.1 to 192.168.2... but more on this later), and the IP configuration is in the vein of 192.168.1.XXX, and so is my work's. I can connect to my works VPN from these networks, but I cannot ping nor connect to any computers on my work's VPN network, only computers on the internal network. I had this same problem on my home network, until, like I mentioned above, I changed all of the IP's to be in the range of 192.168.2.XXX

Everything worked after that.

Any ideas on how to resolve this IP clash???

I remeber seeing a document on costing the traffic to force it to use the other network I will try to find the link.

Unfortunately, you can't have 2 separate networks on the same ip range so the only choice is to change one of them.

Iain

Actually, Iain, you can, but it depends on the router serving the VPN connection. For example, I have a Cisco 2620XM router at home, and it is configured to give a client connecting to the VPN an IP address from the same network (10.0.0.0/8) at my house.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back