Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN into UAE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rach005

Technical User
Nov 13, 2007
CA
I've been reading for hours. This forum is clearly out of my league. However, am hoping someone can clue me in here? My sister has set up a wireless cam in her apt in the UAE for her daughter (here in North America) to be able to connect to and see when ever she wants to see her mum. She sent me the IP address and apartment router but there is a DNS error? Do I need a VPN into the UAE and use a local gateway? I can ping the IP address in dos.?? Am pretty novice at this but would appreciate the help!

If the address is translated to the Internet and port 80 is opend on the UAE firewall, all would be well. It's not likely, though.

If the IP address you were given is in the range below, it is accessable only on the internal network, and you would have to VPN and connect to the site to see it.

192.168.X.X
172.16.X.X
10.X.X.X

These are private address ranges and not routable on the Internet. They would have to be translated ona firewall/router to a "public" address that you can get to.

That's probably clear as mud. I was confused just writing it. :)

OK...clear as mud yeah ;) lol HOW do I VPN to the internal network??

They will have to give you the particulars like: Method, username, password, etc. Once you get used to it, it's fairly easy. The hard part will probably be in getting that information if you are not a member of their organization.

John
<lots of meaningless certifications here>

OK. I have all that. Username, password. connecting to (xp wizard) is not working. The IP address is a public one. She also assigned the webcam to an appartment port (which I have tried). I can ping the public IP address but the webbrowser (explorer 7) says there is a DNS error??

Just so I get the events straight in my brain, you are doing things in this order?

VPN to the site
Open a web browser usnig an IP address (Get the DNS error

Can you post the error? If you are trying to connect using the IP address, and not a name, DNS shouldn't be involved.

If I have the order of events wrong, please list them and what happens when you perform each one. There are quite a few places in there that can cause issues.

John

K Order of events.

The xxx in the address represents numbers (that I will refrain from posting on this forum ;)

In the UAE is where the webcam is: it's hard coded IP address is 192.xxx.x.x it was port forwarded to 1024 (apparently open according to the ISP there)
The router address is : 86.97.xxx.xxx
To view the cam, I should be able to type the router address followed by :1024 (this is how it is meant to work!)
However! when typing the router address in my browser (IE7 OR firefox) Now, funnily enough, I am no longer getting the DNS error but getting
Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

OR
The connection has timed out

The server at 86.97.xxx.xxx is taking too long to respond.
* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Remote management is on on the router (netgear) but I can't access that port either. My sister can access webcam (WVC54GC) internally. It's externally that seems to be the problem?

I hope this is understandable??
Thanks!

Very understandable.

Interesting that it would be translated to a port in the reserved range, but it should still work.

Chances are good that the management port is only open to the internal network and not available externally.

Just in case they haven't given you the correct informaion, have you tried the IP without the :1024 on it?

To check the IP accress out more thouroughly, you might want to d/l a port scanner and scan that address to see what ports are really open; the whole thing smells of being an error in the firewall config, or a missing link. It doesn't sound like anything you are doing wrong.

Is there another firewall in the picture, like at the edge of UAE? The port scan would give us more information.

John

Hi John,

THanks for replying. I'm really keen on getting this to work! I have tried the IP addresses without the port. Still the same thing (or really, it would have to come down to the config of the port forwarding on the camera)...this is not the case though. I really can't access the router IP? MY ISP says there is no problem. My firewalls are all turned off and still nothing? I have never used a port scanner...downloaded one just now but it seems to do the same job as a ping? I can ping the router address...(as the checkmark in this port scanning software can as well)
??? at a lost ;((

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back