Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN into a modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerGood

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2002
AU
VPN question
Can you VPN into a modem ? I know that sounds odd, but the reason I ask is I've always had to specify an IP address or host name as my destination for a VPN connection. I've never set up a VPN server before but I was wondering if that could be done with simply a dial up modem. A vpn connection has to be a connection that is reachable via IP or host name right ? And an IP or host name can only be assigned to a network interface card via a DSL/Cable modem, since you can't attach an IP or hostname to a ph #, right ?

Thanks!

I am not sure what you are wanting to know but I think you can set up pvc's (private virtual connections) off your VPN connection through your ISP. You can assign what type of bandwidth you are wanting to use at a particular destination, for example, 56K connection through your ISP. This way you are using one leased line and applying different locations.
Hope this helps.

Maybe I'm not understanding clearly..I guess I know you can VPN into a dsl modem because you can specify an ip address for it. But can you VPN into something like a 56k robotics modem ? When I go to set up an outgoing VPN connection I only have two choices - IP add or host name. Neither of them can be applied to a 56k dial up modem. See what I mean ? Once you're already dialed up to an ISP, how do you dial another phone number to connect to something like a 56k modem ?

I see what you are saying now. I don't know if there is a way to setup a VPN through a dial-up. Any setup that I normally work with is a choice between VPN or dial-up. And the VPN connections that I use are through DSL with remote access from dial-up modems. Sorry I could not be more help.

no sweat, got it figured out. The dialup gets an IP address from the ISP and users would simply connect to the IP (if its a static dedicated deal) or they'd connect to a host name that was DDNS (via a company like no-ip.com). Thanks for your effort though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back