Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN - INTERNET ACCESS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ensorg

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2002
GB
Don't know if this is a stupid question or not. :)
If I set up a site-to-site VPN between two DSL conections using a "VPN Router", will I still be able to access the internet though the DSL connection or is all IP traffic routed through the VPN tunnel?
Also any "dummies" guides to VPN's would be great!!!

Let me understand the question first. You have 2 sites having dsl connections to the service provider and you want to create a vpn tunnel between these two sites and also use internet. Yes it is possible.

By the way.. No question is a Dumb Question :)

Cheers,
Rajesh

Not a stupid question.

If you set up a router to router VPN, you can still access the internet from the same connection. There are some exceptions to this, but as long as you are setting it up and have control over the hardware selected and the setup, should be no prolem.

For an general explaination of VPNs, start here:
Many others out there, but I like the pictures here. If you need further direction, it would be useful to know more about your situation, number and type of server/clients involved as well as what kind of traffic will be going across.

Thanks! Can I ask another question?

Currently the ADSL connection I use, uses NAT and I have a proxy server set up behind it. Now if I was to change my adsl connection to a noNat scenario with a range of IP addresses will it still be as simple to set up a proxy server using one of the static IP addresses?

Does anyone here have a noNat set-up with ADSL? What way is it configured does each port on the router have a specific IP address?

Are those IP addresses Public and provided by the Adsl provider? Then it should work! Can you explain some more on what you are looking.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back