Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdawgzx11

Technical User
Dec 4, 2009
US
Hello all, I am trying to make a VPN from my shop(XP PRO CLient) to my house (Vista Home Premium). It is my shop so I dont need to worry about being fired. I am running DSL at both locations, not sure if I have a static IP or not, that is what I am going to find out today. I AM going to get a static for my house at least. I just ordered a linksys BEFVP41 VPN router for my house. I know how to set up in the incoming connections, and have already done that. I keep a lot of my art work at my house and sometimes I need to access my home (because i forgot it...) to get the files I need. Is there an easy way to set this up? I was told that a hardware VPN is much easier than a software vpn. I am somewhat of a novice at networking, but it never hurts to ask the proffesionals. I hope I gave up enough information, but feel free to ask me as many questions about my setup to ensure I do it right. Thank you all in advance!

Just a Rundown

Host
DSL
Linksys BEFVP41 Router
Linksys WRT54G Router
Windows Vista Home Premium

Client
DSL
Linksys WRT54G Router
Windows XP Pro SP2

Any help would be great!

Well the easiest way is logmein.com. The free version will let you connect to your pc without having to get special equipment. If it is files you only need access to then what about a portable drive or online storage? As for the online storage there are many but it depends on how much you want to store.

I do have an FTP server for my website. I had considered that as an option, but I would LOVE to keep my "books" at one location, a remote one. That way should anyone get a hold of my computer, all of my financials wouldn't be lost. That is the main objective. I am not so sure about logmein.com. I don't really want to trust some of my records to a third party such as that. That was my reason for going with a hardware VPN system. I was even going to consider using an old computer as a ubuntu VPN server. I know that sounds a little far fetched to be honest, but it is an option, all of the linux OS is free, so it wouldnt cost me anything but an old POS computer would suffice. I don't know...

Justin "T-Bone" Horodeck
Custom Airbrushing

I understand about the issue of encryption but it is encrypted, I use it in my corp network. As for VPN Tunneling then look at the Netgear FVS318 router as a solution. I have used them before and they work great plus all you would need is one and their client software.

No not really it will allow you to access your pc remotely. Now if you want to be able to transfer files from the remote pc to the other they also have a VPN software as well so check out the site and all it offers.

So I just got a new befvp41 router the other day. When I plug my dsl modem in the router it never lights up the Ethernet port on the dsl modem. I have tried an x over cable, straight cable, it never lights up the Ethernet port. Any idears?

Justin "T-Bone" Horodeck
Custom Airbrushing

Check the router setting it may not be configured correctly. Check to see if NAT is configured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back