Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN in WinXP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeCSr

Technical User
Jul 18, 2001
US
My friend and I were trying to set up a VPN so that we can play lan games etc. We are both running WinXP Pro and both have cable internet.
We went into control panel and set up a new user account for one another on our machines and then set up a new connection in networking and selected VPN etc.. Neither one of us can connect to the other.
Any ideas or help out here?

Thanks in advance :D

Yeah, I have an idea as to why, since I do not know how you set up your VPN, I will assume that you are using either a Resiedntial Gateway (i.e. router) or a software firewall. In any case you would have to be stupid to have cable internet and not use one or the other. Whichever you are using make sure that you are allowing the traffic through the firewall (either using port 500 in hardware, or by granting permision to software) also you may need to set the remote machine to be a local address if you instist on keeping your software firewall settings set to their highest setting. You will need to allow for IPSEC and PPTP passthrough on any hardware firewalls too. Lastly you have to make sure that you can see each other before attempting to connect, i.e. ping each others addresses and then try the connection, if you still fail, then you will have to dig deeper, but this part here is what stops alot of people.

Yes.. I am behind a NAT Router, but I did try to connect VPN with and without the router without any type of firewall running at all and no luck.
My friend and I have tried about everything and can only come to one conclusion... One of us has to be running a VPN server??? As we had it.. it seemed to me that both of us adding a VPN connection in XP meant we were both merely clients.. so I guess we need to figure out how to start a VPN "server" Thanks for the replies so far!!!

Ok, this is kinda weird, but it will work.

Pick someone to be HOST, someone to be CLIENT.

On the CLIENT:

Go to Network Connections.

Create a new connection.

Connect to network at your workplace.

Select VPN

Name the connection "LAN GAMES" or whatever

Check "do not dial the initial connection"

Put in the IP address or hostname of the SERVER - and since this is dynamic for most people, even on cable modems, I suggest you get with dyndns.org and get yourself a hostname for this part. put it in this box. If your IP is static, then put the IP in this box, save the hostname lookup.

Click to share with all users and add link to the desktop.

Now you'll be presented with a connect dialog box. Leave it alone until finished with the SERVER side.

On the SERVER side, after you make a username and password for your buddy in the User Accounts control panel applet, go to network connections, set up a new connection.

Choose set up advanced connection.

Accept incoming connections.

In the devices for incoming, don't check anything.

Check Allow VPN connections

Put a check by your friend's name in the list of approved ppl

Put checks in the boxes for the types of networking protocols you want

Click finish

Now go to that connection and click properties.

Go to Networking, then TCP/IP, then properties.

Check Allow Calling Computer to specify its own IP address

Click ok until you're out.

Now on the client side again

Enter username, password

Check the box to remember

Go to PROPERTIES, then NETWORKING

Change type of VPN to PPTP

Click OK

And initiate the connection

That should do it.

This doesn't cover the ports in the firewall that need opening - Since I don't know what you're running I can't give you step-by-steps for that. But the ports you need are 1701, 1723, and 500 if I remember right. 1701 is for LT2P, which requires a certificate. 1723 is for PPTP, and 500 is for the IKE service.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back