Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN help with a BEFSX41

Status
Not open for further replies.

jono261970

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
GB
hello,

I have recently purchased a Linksys BEFSX41 router. I have managed to set up my test-website using the DMZ port. I would now like to connect to my computer remotely using the VPN.

However I am a little confused about the configuration and would be grateful if somebody can assist me.

I am not sure what IP to enter in the following:-

local group:

remote group:

remote gateway:

and what encrytion should I use?

Cheers

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

My question is this: Are you planning on connect 2 routers together or just trying to connect from a remote location back to your home?

If connecting two routers then:

local group: Local Network IP address (IE: 10.6.8.0)
remote group: Remote Network IP address (IE: 192.168.1.0)
remote gateway: Remote Router IP address (IE: 12.12.12.12)
What encrytion should I use: Either 3DES/SHA or 3Des/MD5 (forget which one is more secure)

If connecting back to a computer at home just need a VPN client on remote computer and your home computer has to be setup as a VPN server (Windows 2000 and XP). Would help with that, but have never done a VPN server.

Hopefully that helps.

Hello,

I have the Linksys router at home with 24/7 connection. I have a laptop at work running win XP Pro and a direct Internet connection. I want to set up a VPN client on XP to connect to the Linksys router.

Is the local group the IP address of my laptop?

which device is the remote group - the IP of my router?

Is the remote gateway the gateway IP on my router?

Sorry if the questions are lame. I am just a little confused.

Cheers

jono

A good fortune may forbode a bad luck, which may in turn disguise a good fortune.

Is the local group the IP address of my laptop? Depends on where you are looking. If you are looking at the VPN setup on the router, then the local group is the Router IP address. If you are looking at your XP machine then the IP address of the XP.

which device is the remote group - the IP of my router?: Depends on where you are looking. If you are looking at the VPN setup on the router, then the Remote group is the XP machine IP address. If you are looking at your XP machine then the IP address of the router.

Is the remote gateway the gateway IP on my router? As before depends on what u are looking at.

As toward being lame questions, then forget that. You have some good questions which, when I was trying to setup a router to Symantec Firewall VPN, took a month of experimenting to figure out.

Hopefully this helps you. Good luck to you.

Thank you very much for your help. I can now connect to my home computer from work using the VPN function of the router. One the connection is made I then launch PC anywhere to remotely control the PC.

again, many thanks!

jono

Hi Jono,

Are you connecting to your home computer via vpn router from work to a vpn router at home or are you using vpn software to connect to your router at home?

Thanks,

pizzaman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back