Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN general Queston

Status
Not open for further replies.

supportahm1980

Technical User
May 30, 2006
US
Hello. I am new to the VPN forum. I was just wondering about what the majority of users would do in this situation.

I have a main site (100 users) and a remote site (6) users and several users that travel. I was looking into a VPN for both scenarios. For such a small business would a hardware, solution or software VPN solution be best. Can anyone recommend some low cost non Cisco VPN hardware and software clients out there?

Also if I was going to use server 2003 or ISA 2006 for a site to site VPN how would I get these traveling users to connect. Is there some sort of client Microsoft provides?

Thank you for any incite or direction in this

All recent versions of Windows have a VPN client that will connect to a Windows VPN server. Simple setups are as easy as configuring a dial-up connection -- it uses the same wizard. If you need something more complex, Windows servers come with the Connection Manager Administration Kit, which will allow you to give your remotes a "node" that they can install that will configure advanced features such as routing.

I'm not a big fan of software VPNs for remote offices. There are several vendors that make VPN devices to connect small remote offices to a core site, such as Netscreen 5 series, Nortel 1010 Contivity, or Cisco ASA 5505. Many vendors also provide a software client for your users to connect via the Internet when you purchase their hardware clients for the main office.

I like the ASA 5505. According to the diagram I only needed one of these devices. What would I use to connect my remote office to this device?

I would reccomend you at least try out hamachi; it's free. How can you go wrong? I've had a lot of success with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back