Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN from one domain to another - same server names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prak355

MIS
Dec 11, 2002
GB
Hi, bit of a weird/stupid one here. I'm on my domain, xp workstation, 2000 server and have connected to a client who's running an NT server through the VPN.

The VPN connects fine but, I can't browse the server thru the VPN because (here's the good bit..) both servers have the same machine name (server1) and the same internal ip number (192.168...). So, whenver I type \\server1 I always see our server. Is it possible to view the client's server this way at all???

It's not a big deal because we've setup an FTP now, just wondered if there was a way/workaround.......

Many thanks in advance,
Prak.

No!! The networks are in different parts of the country. The servers just happen to have the same machine names and the same internal IP range.

Thanks anyway.
Prak.

Two network segments that will use same IP range = ONE network.
If it is one network then you cannot have two systems with same address and/or same name.

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K

Thank you Gia, thought that might be it. worth a try anyway...!!

Prak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back