Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN for Windows NT 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haploe79

Instructor
Apr 10, 2003
US
I could really use some help setting up a VPN for windows NT 4.0 server. I have no problem doing so with W2k server, and do so on a regular basis, but has been years since I worked with NT, and have totally forgotten about setting a VPN up.

Is everything I need found in RAS or at least included with NT software as it is with 2000? Any help that could be given would be great!

I have windows NT workstation too also trying to run VPN. I'm working with the SonicWall VPN.

I discovered that when you install the VPN client, it puts in special protocal for your VPN connection. The Protocal is installed but will not bind with the modem. You are using a modem? or a NIC? It's only happening on my NT 4 workstations. What you should try in putting in PCMCI modem card or someother type of modem and try it on that. The modem that was integrated on my laptop would not work but when I put in another modem it worked great. This is only happening on NT 4 workstations. Make sure you use a newer PCMICA card.

With that problem, I had a choice, either get new PC modem cards for all my laptops or upgrade to 2000. I just upgraded to 2000 and it works great.

hope this helps
let me know

If you are talking about PPTP, then add Point-to-point tunneling protocol under the protocols tab in Network properties for NT. There is some RAS configuration as well, but if I am not mistaken, that will pop up and prompt you through the configuration.

If you need more specifics let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back