Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN established, but cannot see (ping) ALL devices... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherusker

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2004
DE
Hello guys!

I'm using a VPN-connection between a Netgear FVS318 (here in the company) and with SafeNet Client-Software (at home).
The VPN-connection woks fine (so far), but the problem is that I cannot see ALL the devices in the company's LAN, but only some.
E.g. the most important server (my Terminal-Server) is invisible, and I can't ping to it (request times out). Others work fine (on another server I have an Intranet-site running, and I can reach it by its LAN-address; I'm able to access the FVS318 by its LAN-address and am able to configure it; ...).
Does someone have similar problems and knows how to fix this?

Thank you in advance!

Greets
Armin

Could be any number of things going on. Since you are able to reach some of the resources, I would not think routing is an issue. That assumes that all of the machines that you are trying to reach are on the same subnet. If they are not, routing could come back into the picture.

Just because you get a timeout to a ping request does not mean that you are not able to reach that machine. ICMP (ping) could be turned off or blocked for that particular machine. Have you tried any other kind of access -- terminal services, a 'net view' or the like? You might try a tracert to the IP of that server just to make sure the routing is doing what it is supposed to.

Could also be routing on the server side. If the default gateway for those machines is something other than the VPN server and there is not route discovery mechanism running on the network, that could cause a problem as well.

@mhkwood: Thank you for your quick reply!
I forgot to mention that indeed all machines are on the same subnet, so routing shouldn't be the problem.
I already tried "tracert", "ping" and Terminal Services, but without any success. I can see the symbol of the SafeNet Client-Software "flicker" in the tray bar as soon as some traffic from my computer at home wants to go through the tunnel, but as I said the server just doesn't "answer".
Unfortunately this is not the only machine I cannot see, while others respond at once (to ping, tracert, etc.)
Weird...

What OS is on the PC's that do not respond? Is it XP? Is the firewall turned on?

jaselectricman

The client is a Win2000 and XP.
The server I'm trying to reach is a Win2000 Server with Terminal Services running. Another one is a UNIX (IBM AIX).
Machines that I can reach through the VPN-tunnel are Win2000 and NT4 Server).
ALL machines are reachable in the LAN (ping, tracert, etc.), but from home I have problems with the 2 I mentioned above.
So there is no XP-machine I'm trying to connect to, and the Firewall on my XP-client at home is turned off.

go to your HOSTS file;

C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

And add the IP to Name
i.e.
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.37.4 MyTerminalServer

Let us know how you get on

Also make sure the default gateway is set correctly on both machines...

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back