Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn error 721

Status
Not open for further replies.

apocalypse11

Technical User
Jan 11, 2001
AU
Hello everyone... i've seen this post on here before relating to error 721 but the suggestions don't help my situation.

I have two pcs xp pro that are exactly the same using dhcp. i set up a vpn to another site on both pcs. the first connects fine (ip x.x.x.70). the second (x.x.x.80) errors with 721. I change the ip address of the second to the same ip address of the first (ip x.x.x.70) and the connection is established. The first pc, with a new ip address (ip x.x.x.90), no longer can connect. Change the first pc back to ip x.x.x.70 and it works again. so it seems to be allowing connection on a certain address to connect.

I think we can rule that the problem isn't caused by the pcs. there is something else that is stopping them when they don't have the ip x.x.x.70. The vpn router is a dlink 804hv. Is it something on the dlink that needs to be changed? if so, what?

any help would be appreciated.

What type of vpn client? Windows vpn, cisco vpn etc.

My thought is that your router is configured to only allow whatever port you are using to go out from x.x.x.70

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

yep just an ordinary windowns vpn.

The strange thing is, after waiting a day or so, i can connect with a different ip address sometimes...

it is the same at different sites. eg, site one connects to site two. and site three connects to site two. but same problem at sites one and three.

thanks for you help... there has to be an answer there somewhere...

the dlink vpn has been setup using the wizards. no additional configuration tasks have be run. eg. port blocking, firewall rules etc etc.

phoned d-link... apparently this is a "limitation" of this product. it only allows one pc from each wan ip address to connect to it at a time. however, we have others (dlinks same model) that allow more than one pc on the same wan ip address to connect. STRANGE DLINK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back