Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN+DSL+Link Sys Router Help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Ok, I have a unique situation here. I am not a guru like you all yet so I need a little help. I am running Windows 2000 Server, A LinkSys DSL Router, My Internet connections is Telocity with a static IP address. What my question is.... How do I get a VPN to work with the clients accessing over the internet VIA, dial-up and broadband (cable and DSL). How do I set up my server to use the VPN (I guess with PPTP). The servers internal LAN static IP of 192.168.2.2 and the Linksys Router has the WAN static ip of 64.192.130.85 and the gateway is 64.192.130.85. My goal here is to let a employee access her machine to get word documents edit them and save them. Am I going to have to place the static IP on the actual server or can I leave the router in place for the rest of the employees?? All in all I need a how to on Making VPN work with a router that is connected to DSL for file sharing over the internet.

Thank
Frank Askew

You have to use the forwarding feature on the linksys router. For pptp you will forward ports 47 and 1723 to your server[IPSec is UDP 500 prot 50, 51]. Then you will configure The VPN on the server and set the permissions for the user you want to have access to the VPN.

If you only need one user at a time to connect to the server. You can enable the Terminal services on the W2K server. This will give you better performance on a dial up. But you will need to properly set securities for this port or you can remap this port to a port other than 3389.

I have a similar setup to bhamguy. I have already forwarded ports 47 and 1723 to the vpn server, but still get a "Error 650" when trying to connect with a Win98 client. Am I overlooking a setup component in Win2K server? Please advise.

to test the port mapping to your server from your remot computer telnet to the VPN port.
i.e.

Telnet 64.192.130.85 1723

it should connect if it does not there is a problem with your mapping.

For testing purposes you can map the ping ICMP port (7) to your server and try to ping it. I don't like to leave this open.

Don't forget You will be using your WAN IP address to connect to your server not your LAN IP address.

IF the Telnet or ping works then check your permissions on your server and your client config.

I too need some help, Win98 client, DSL modem and Linksys Router. I connect just fine to our VPN server, I can map all my drive including the Novell ones.

BUT

I can not use network neighborhood to see the servers I have to know the names of the servers and their shares to connect, and for some reason my connection speed say 9600.

As mentioned before I am running a DSL modem with 768 down/128 up so 9600 is way off. At my previous employement the same set up connected me at 10,000,000. My initial reaction was that the stated speed was irrelevant, but it took 45 minutes to download 25mb from the network which is not what I get when I download for internet sites.

I am the only win98 client to our VPN server everyone else is using win2000.

Any thoughts?

Do I have to set up forwarding on my linksys router? if so what exactly do I do? Is there something missing on the vpn server?

Chris

I have the sam esetup with cable and want to use pcanywhere.
Does anyone know which ports I have to open in the linksys
set up pages.
And do I HAVE to have a box with a static ip?

Well....I can't believe I have nearly the same problem as previously noted.

I have a RR connection with a DSL/CABLE modem and a dynamic IP address. I use TZO to handle the IP changes.

I work from home and want to create a WAN between my server and the server at work.

I called linksys and they gave me parameters for the static IP setup page. But said that what I was trying to do would be impossible without talking to both ISP's and arranging the "tunnel".

Any thoughts.

An entry in the lmhosts file on the host may help to enable a user to browse network neighborhood and shares on the servers if it is a windows OS.

In order to use pcanywhere you will need to have the following ports enabled:
5631/tcp, 5631/udp, 5632/tcp, 5632/udp.

To enable Pcanywhere you need to open ports 5631, 5632, 22 both UDP and TCP.
Also for browsing issue make sure that you have WINS enabled on your server and that your client is configure to resolve WINS through the server. Another route if all else fails is to edit the LMhost. and put a Ip to host name listing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back