Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN drops after 18 minutes connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Dear all,

after 18 minutes a vpn connection drops when using a win2k system through adsl to a firebox 700 through adsl using pptp. The vpn connection drops because it couldn't write to the socket. This only happens when the client is using adsl in combination with win2k. Has anyone encountered this problem also and found a soultion please let me know.

best regards,

Martin

I've seen something similar with AOL where the client doesn't see any activity (it's all being routed through the tunnel) so it closes the connection. I don't know if this is the same thing because the particular client I worked with was using a standard modem.

The trick I found was to disable the client from using the remote gateway. This way all Internet traffic was routed through the local connection and not through the tunnel. Therefore, the local connection was able to see activity and it knew there was an active connection.

Hope this helps.

The problem is with you re-key time on the firebox. Make sure your settings are no re-key bytes and no re-key time. ot you could set time to 24 hours.

I also noticed this problem with AOL and a few of my DSL users. On AOL, all of the IP traffic was trying to be routed through the tunnel, so AOL thought it was done and would hang up. I found the solution was to set up the client to not use the remote gateway.

Where do I find the re-key time in the firebox?
Thanks in advance.

This problem is because of the software version og the FireBox. Try with version 5.0 and it will solve your problem.

Just a quick comment to say I tried this as apossible solution to a problem I was having copying large files between two Fireboxes and it worked a treat. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back