Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN DNS\WINS settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

alocke2940

IS-IT--Management
Jul 18, 2004
US
I have a site-to-site VPN. Users on the remote site have their DNS and WINS addresses set the the one at the home site. It is set to split tunnel on the remote site. Is is correct to point their DNS\WINS back to the home site? Their default gateway is set to their router. The connection is very slow.

That should be fine. It all depends on what you need/want to do within the confines of your network. You could always put a DNS and/or WINS server at the remote site and have it set to sync with the server at the main site. Are you really questioning the validity of the DNS/WINS setup, or are you looking for a reason as to the slow speed of the VPN? If you're concerned about the latter, what type of connections do you have to the internet/VPN at both ends?

I am questioning the validity and the speed. I may put a DC with DNS and WINS over there eventually. Both sides have a T-1 connection. I tried to make adjustments to the VPN using one of the posts I find here. I adjusted the MTU and allowed fragmented packets. Still seems slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back