Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Disconnects!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSwaity

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
CA
Hi there, I have a vpn here, and I'm having some problems.

First my setup:
Windows 2003 Server hosting VPN (built in VPN).
Win XP Pro / Win XP Home clients SP2 on all 3 I think.
VPN Client thats built into XP is what we are using to connect.

Whats happening is this:

I have a remote office with 3 computers, and they vpn into our main office. The remote office uses email and network shares while connected. Whats happening now is every few minutes, or seconds, or whenever it feels like it, it seems to drop connection. The icon in the bottom right corner still shows connected, and it shows that I still have an ip and everything looks good, but I can't email, and I can't use the network share, it says "An error connecting to H: (\\server\share). Microsoft Windows Network, the local device name is in use." Or it will give me an error reconnecting to share. Email just says it can't find the server. I have to disconnect and reconnect several times to be able to send out email. I have to be fast too, becuase I only have time to open one document (if that!) before it drops connection.

I don't think there is a problem with either ISP's. They seem quite solid on both sides.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I would recreate the PPTP VPN connection in XP. Then go in to Properties > Networking>TCP-IP>Properties>Advanced and put a check mark in use default gateway on remote network. Test this and see how the performance is then.

I went and did that this morning, it worked fine for a few seconds, and then it was back to its normal disconnect problem. On all three pc's it was the same.

Just for fun I also tried restarting the vpn server.

Any thoughts on what else it could be?

Thanks!

are these computers currently on a lan and then making the VPN connection ?

Yep, they are all connected to a linksys router, and then to the VPN. The thing is, 6 months ago, it worked great! I don't know why this has started.

clear the roter config reload the firware and set it up again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back