Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Connetcion problems 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhopper

Technical User
Jan 2, 2006
DE
Hello everybody,

before I ask my question, I would like to let you know that I am absolutely new with VPN. I will try to find answers in existing threads too, but this promblem is really urgent to be solved.
My company is running a Windows 2003 Server. No one has an Idea how it works we've been only changing backup tapes. The IT Company who has had a look at it is out of business.
No my problems begin...they have chosen me to have a look at it.

I need up to ten vpn connetions for our new roadworriors so I have had a go at it. I have installed RAS/VPN Server manually, because that box has only one NIC. The GUI says that it is up and running. After doing that, I switched off the router function and only left "RAS-Server" active and I also configured the DHCP-Relay option. Then I grabbed my nNotebook and configured a new VPN connection. Dialing in os no problem, it works fine and I get the message that dialing in was successful.

The Problem: I cannot acces anything on the server. I have dialed in with my standard domain account in wich I have been working for month! I don't see a printer, my home directory and not even the public directory!

If you have an Idea, pleas let me know!
Thank your very much indeed!

You dial in i assume the connection works fine and you get a VPN/Network icon. Are you getting an IP address on you VPN connection? If not you have to set it up to issue IP addresses. You can use your current scope or get the RAS side of thing to issue IP addresses.

Can you ping the VPN server IP? If yes, what do you receive if using net voew \\ipaddress? it could be the name resolution issue too.

Computer browsing over VPN involves routers, multiple segments and ... Alternatively, it is possible to browse over VPN by using LMHOSTS files on all VPN ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Thank you very much for helping me so quickly, it has been a problem with name resolution; seemed to be faulty.
I can now access the servers and the folders that I need.
Unfortunately the connection is very poor (I am testing my VPN settings via an ISDN Internet connection with 64kbit), so perfomance is hard to find. It takes ages for my client to find folders and printers.
Are there methods to improve the efficiency of a slow connection?

So far, thank you very much indeed!!!

use TS/RDP over VPN, it's little bit faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back