Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN connects but users cannot connect to LINUX servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstdan13

Technical User
Dec 18, 2004
US
Hi Everyone,

I have setup a VPN with a PIX 515E and have users who use a Cisco VPN client version 4.0.5(D) to connect. All the users can connect without a problem and reach all the Windows servers but for some reason they cannot connect to any of LINUX servers. Is there something I am missing? Please help.

Thanks
Firstdan13

Connect how? An ACL perhaps?

Do the Windows and Linux servers have the same routing configuration?

The users connnect through an ACL. The servers that are having the problem have a different gateway out of the network but a rule has been added to the firewall that acts as the gateway for these servers to forward requests to the PIX 515E. I was hoping that would solve the problem but it didnt.

OK, this is more complicated that it looked at first.

The Pix is not the GW for the Linux servers, but it is for Windows, right? Are the Linux and Windows servers on the same LAN, or are the Linux servers deeper in the network.

Is it: pix---Windows LAN---firewall---Linux LAN
or: pix---Windows/Linux---firwall---other network

It sounds like the second. First try adding a static route on the Linux servers for the VPN network. This will bypass any involvement of the "firewall" and might narrow down the problem.

The setup is like this. I have a firewall at 10.0.1.5 which is the gateway for the LINUX servers and I have a PIX 515e firewall at 10.0.1.6 which is the gateway for the Windows servers. I have separate T1s connecting to the two firewalls. The VPN users connect to 10.0.1.6 network. I added a rule on the 10.0.1.5 firewall to forward any requests that come from the VPN pool to the PIX. I can ping from the PIX to the 10.0.1.5 firewall.
Did I make the picture a little more clear or did I just mess it up more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back