Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Connects but cannot access server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmorker

Technical User
Jan 13, 2004
AU
Hi,
i have a peer-peer network using xp pro (on a workgroup)and i create a vpn session to a win2k server (having AD and is on a domain). the vpns uses a cisco 827h as a router which i have anabled pptp pass through and port forwarding to win2k server.
vpns works fine using the users created on AD.
i try and access the server's shared drive and i get a message to enter the user name and password. i enter the vpn user name and i do get access to the share.I click on remember my password settings. BUT after a day i cannot access the share.
i have tried to use net use as a scheduled task after the vpn is created but net use does not work.

There may be issues with xp pro not able to remember the password.. but is there any way to sort this problem.

i may have to change the xp vpn client to cisco vpn client but that may still bring the same problem.

nmorker
mcse, ccna

i have checked some knowledge base articles.
maybe having the same workgroup name as domain might help.
will give that a try.
but still need help.
nmorker

Windows XP and windows 2000 server have different cache password policies, thats why xp doesn't remember passwords.

Microsoft look at this from a security point of view.

Have you used IAS to authenticate the users on the AD domain using radius, this seems to pass the user details from the vpn client in our network for non AD members.

Hi did you get a response to this message? I'm also getting mapping problems but with one server I am able to map, with the other I am not.

Aaron

Hi,
i have tried the following and this has worked for me:-
1. have the workgroup name same as domain name.
2. log on to the pc on the workgroup using a user name and password , created in the domain.
3. give the user in the domain permision to access the shared resources.

the above work around has been working.

nmorker

Hi,
That method is great for a windows 2000 computer so the user isn't prompted for the username and password to access the share, but for WinXP you can have a different username and password for your computer then the one on the domain and it will work fine.

It works fine except for trying to access one server1 and share, the other server2 and share work fine and I can't understand what is wrong?

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back