Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN connectivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaGambler

Programmer
May 14, 2002
US
Can VPN be used successfully with a 56K modem connection. We wish to connect to a SQL server running VB applications using modem connections as the physical layer in the process.
Somehow, my sense is that this type of connection will not cut the mustard but I don't have any information to either back it up or discredit the notion.

You should certainly be able to connect via VPN, however, remember that it is only as fast as your SLOWEST upload speed overall. Also, drop that another 10 to 15% depending on how much encryption is used. It is quite slow for file transfers. It may work well enough for you if you are running 'remote-control' programs, but I have never tried it over a 56K line.

Since the VPN uses a higher lavel of encription, you access to the SQL server will be very slow.
In Vpn connection it takes around 40kb only for encrption so you can only get 16 kb for accessing you SQL server.

Regds,
Kaushal Vashisht
I Am from INDIA. LAND teach the world about Mathamatics & started Universities to educate the world.

vpn over 56k is dead slow, i've tried it. you get 3.5 kB/s max.

I have also tried it and I agree with the others that It's really very sloooooooo I ended up with data unfinished or incomplete transactions.

Follow thet's advise to use a remote control program. You can use terminal server or better yet, try citrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back