Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN connection to an Existing VPN system

Status
Not open for further replies.

imageres

Vendor
Jun 13, 2006
CA
I am a vender of a software system installed on Win server that has an established VPN system. I was given rights to access this system via the VPN with Password and user name. I installed the client software and activated the software. The system starts OK and then says that it is accessing the Banner info. After several moments the system comes back and says that it has lost the connection. I have tried this many times with the same results. I have turned off both my Nortons and my firewall without any change. I talked to the network administrator and she said that some laptops simply don't work on a VPN. This seems like a poor explaination to me. My laptop it a Toshiba Satellite M60 running MS XP pro.
I am trying to support an install over this VPN so really need some help here.

Anyone got any suggestions???

Thanks Doug

We need more information to help. Can you establish the VPN now? If not, what's the error code? If you can establish the VPN but disconnect it after a several minutes, that is different issue.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

The actual seuence is as follows:
Fill in Log on info
Message Back - "Connecting To (IP Address)"
Message Back - "Getting Conformation From (IP Address)"
Message Back - "Checking For Banner Text From"
message Back - "The secure contivity VPN connection has been lost click connect to re-establish the connection"

Nortel has a technical paper on the "banner text" message dated December '04 and possible resolution (enable protocol 17, 50 and 51 at firewall/router, remove any other VPN client, or possibly use NAT).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back