Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Connection Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

jermocide

MIS
May 22, 2000
US
Visit site
Hey everyone,
I have an interesting question for you. We have users at our company that VPN into our NT network.
It works fine. Here's the question. When a user VPN's into our network from a computer running NT workstation it tells them that they are connecting at 10,000,000 baud and when we check the vpn port connection on our NT server for their connection it also shows a port speed of 10,000,000 baud. Now, when users running Win 98 VPN into our NT network their computer will tell them that they are connecting at 10,000,000 baud but when we check the port connection on our NT server for their connection it shows a port speed of 9600 baud. Are our Win 98 users connecting at 10,000,000 like their computer says or 9600 like our Server says. So basicall any NT workstation we connect with will show 10,0000,000 at the workstation and 10,000,000 at the server and any Win 98 machine we connect with shows 10,000,000 at the 98 machine and 9600 at the server. Why do the 98 machines always show 9600 at the server and NT machines always show 10,000,000? We are worried that our remote Win 98 users are not connecting at the same speed as our remote NT workstation users.
Additional info: All connections are through dsl and we have experimented with several machines so it is not machine specific but rather os specific. We are doing basic VPN through pptp with no special hardware or software. If you need any further info please let me know. Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Jermocide

I researched this very exhaustivly, and am I exhausted! I found that it is a flaw in the VPN form MS. It will only show 9600 even though it is connecting faster.
I ran several trials and found W2K did go faster, but not at a 9600/10MB difference. If you can upgrade, WinME does also connect at the slightly faster pace, than 98. If you want to Q# , I can find it. Trials proved faster VPNs were had with less protocols and less security, as you would expect. I ended going with a firewall VPN for the fastest VPN .

Draq
comtutor@uswestmail.net
Good Luck with this information

"It's not what you know, or who you know, but who you know that knows what !" --- Me

"Visualize Whirled Peas" --- Kelly Bundy

I am a client using VPN and I have the EXACT same problem because I connect via Windows98 SE. But the bad thing is that my connection really IS as slow as 9600, even though my PC shows 100,000,000bps. If according to you the difference is only "a little bit", then why is my connection this slow? Would an upgrade to Win2k really make a big difference??

Note that the difference between 9,600 and 10,000,000 is NOT just A LITTLE.

Did anyone find a solution for this problem?

Please inform us!

We have found this same problem with our default MS VPN servers setup through our T1 connections. Speed tests verify the fact that the transfer DOES occur at the 9600 baud rate.
We also have tested many various clients and so far do not have a solution to this problem. We are presently looking into other VPN solutions. I certainly would like to use the VPN that comes with MS Server 2000 but so far i'm stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back