Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn connection printer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

skfm

Technical User
May 2, 2003
MY
Hi, I having a problem connecting printers from a remote site. Here is the story, my remote office connects back to the HQ via a VPN gateway. I have been trying to install the share printers from a computer in my remote office to my server. But everytime when I tried to install,it gives me an error message stating that it could not connect to the printer. This is really annoying, as I could be able to browse share folders and documents from this office, therefore it should not be the connection problem. both site can be able to ping each other successfully.
On my remote office, the computer gets their IP dynamically whenever the VPN connection is established.It was working previously, but just one find day it stops.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Is this a shared printer off a pc or a networked one? Also is there a firewall running on either end?

Thanks dberg35 for the reply,
Its a shared printer off a pc, and I have checked on the firewall,have tried disabling it but the problem is still the same. Just like i mention earlier, I can ping from both ends, I did a net view, no problem seeing all the share resources.But I just cant connect to the printer on the remote site.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Ok what method are you using to connect? Typically if you want to add this printer the you need to create a local port.

Example: \\pc name\printer name

Also make sure the printer is shared. When you say you can ping, is that by IP or PC name? Try pinging pc name to see, if no reply then could be a DNS issue.

It was working previously, but just one find day it stops."
Fell off the network? This is typical with Windows. This is why I am such a fan of Linux, UNIX and OpenVMS...lol

HI dberg35,
I ping using IP, with pc name can't.The printer is shared. I did trying to connect using the example you shown. It gives me the same error.
In fact I have tried everything I can thing of, check the settings on the remote PC, the vpn gateway settings, router settings, tried to installed the shared printer from another different server, re-create the log in name for vpn, tried using another PC from the remote side to connect, checked the dns on our server and add in the PC name....all answers are negative.
Any more ideas??? One thing is puzzling, I can ping, i can net view but can't connect. I tried doing this on another remote site, no problem.

Hi Burtsbees, you are right, I second that...if only my bosses are fans of linux or unix...Thank any way.

Do you have a sever running with a domain? Also try this, the pc that has the printer assign it a static IP and then try adding the printer again but use the IP of that pc not the pc name.

\\x.x.x.x\printer name

Or you can to in stall as an IP based printer on your pc. I have done this before but you might have to play with the setting to get it to work. Try the above method first.

That sounds like it has something to do with permissions and objects and crap. I am not a Windows guy, but this is very likely the problem.
Do you have your printer installed and connected as a network printer in your office, like through the server? If not, you need to do this so that the vpn end (the DC on that end) knows what to connect to when it tries to set the printer up.
dberg, you cannot set the printer up as a tcp/ip printer in this situation---it needs to be networks, since it's going from one network to another.

Burt

burtbees,
You can and I have done so but it is best solution. It sounds like he is having a DNS issue, but could be permissions as well.

Oh...I thought I tried with my company vpn...I must have been doing something wrong. I'll actually play around with that next week then...thanks.

Burt

Guys,
Thanks for the solution, I will try it out and see what I will come out with.

Rgds.
Lawrence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back