Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Connection on a different domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzsawbee

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
US
I am a road warrier who works at an outside company several days a week. The company has provided me a connection to the internet through their firewall, which works fine as long as I turn off my proxy server settings, however, I am not able to get my VPN to work. I have tried it with the proxies on and off, there is no difference.

I know the VPN connection works. I use it at night in my hotel via dialup and at home over a broad band connection when I am not at the outside company's office.

After reading through this form I found one other post that sort of addressed this problem and several posts that talked about opening firewall ports, but as I am new to this I thought it best to ask the direct question. Please forgive my ignorance.

What needs to be done to allow me to use VPN and get into my company's network? Are there specific ports that need to be opened, or some protocol that needs to be run?

The only error message I receive, if you want to call it that, tells me that my token code is no longer valid and to enter a new one. When I enter my code it just loops again and again asking me for a new code.

I thankyou in advance for all help.

what do you mean "The company has provided me a connection to the internet through their firewall, which works fine"? assuming you can establish the VPN, but can't access the network resources, can you ping the remote computer by ip? if yes, can you ping by name?

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

The company has given me an office with a lan connection for my laptop and I am able to use this connection to get to the internet. I do not have to use my connectivity VPN client to do this, I just uncheck the "use a proxy server" box under internet options, connections, Lan settings. Also, I don't know if this is important but the company uses DHCP for address control.

To the best of my knowlege I have never been able to successfully establish the VPN. Every time I use the connectivity VPN client it tells me that it is trying to connect to the remote host and then eventually I get the message telling me my token code is no longer valid. I have tried with the proxy settings on and with them off and I get the same results.

I have not tried to ping the remote computer at all.

Buzz,

Your proxy setting in Internet Explorer have no relevance to your VPN client connection. Not sure what VPN client you're using or what type of VPN server is running at your main site, but you'll need to make sure the firewall for this office that's letting you use their Internet connection allows ports IP 47 and TCP 1723 for PPTP, and L2TP over IPSec ,UDP Port 500 and IP 50. You should contact your Admin and get the correct ports for your config.

Good luck.

My company uses Nortel Networks VPN components and I am using the Nortel Networks connectivity VPN client to connect with.

I have passed on the information to this company's IT group. Hopefully it will clear up what ever problems I have been having.

Thanks.

If your vpn works out on the road from other locations; there is a problem with you "office" connection. Is the office connection you are referring too on your corporate network? or at your house or remote location? If it's on your corporate network and they have a proxy server, yes I see problems (besides the fact you shouldn't need to use VPN). If it is a home or remote office connection, you need to check in your setup somewhere. Do you have a router? If so what brand and model. Have a firewall? If so, your router could need a firmware upgrade to support IPSEC or fragmented packets, or you need to configure your firewall to allow incoming traffic from your corporate VPN switch (see ports and protocols below).

If you are using the Nortel client then you only need to be concerned with UDP Port 500 and protocol 50.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back