Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Connection High Overhead Traffic to NT Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcwebb

Technical User
Oct 23, 2002
US
I have a VPN Connection established and working between my home laptop using Windows 2000 and IPSec through a NAT Router (Netgear RP114) and Cable Modem to the office LAN running Windows 2000 Small Business Server via a LinkSys BEFVP-41 VPN router. I can log onto to the remote server fine, browse the network, etc.

My issue is that there appears to be a high amount of traffic over the secure link (as monitored by 'ipsecmon'). Something on the order of 10-20 MB per hour, even when the connection is completely idle; i.e. I have one remote drive 'mapped' but am transferring no files, no applications running which access files on the remote network, and none of the files which I have enabled for 'offline access' are being used on either end so no synchronization is taking place.
This seems like a very high amount of traffic just to keep a connection established and a drive mapped. Anyone know what could be the reason for this volume of traffic or what additional tools I can use to narrow down the reason for it?

Thanks
John Webb

Try disabling all unnecessary functions in "advanced" page of BEFVP41, like keep-alive and NetBIOS-broadcasts.

Thanks for the suggesstion, I checked and both those options were already cleared for my Tunnel. Only checked item is 'anti-replay' which the linksys manual indicates is a security feature to ensure security at the IP packet level.
I have my key lifetime set up at 3600 sec., so it is only supposed to renew every hour; however, looking at the VPN log on the router is shows "Set up ESP tunnel with nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn Success! every 6 minutes, instead of every 60. Maybe this is the issue? I'll try increasing my key lifetime from 3600 sec. to 36000 sec. just to see if it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back