Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Connection always DROP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc929

IS-IT--Management
Nov 21, 2003
US
Hi

I am using 2 Linksys RV082 router for 2 offices (NY & LA).
Both using static IP & same ISP and firmwire 1.0.12 (beta version). Even though I use 1.0.11, I get the same problem.
When I create a VPN, the line always drop down and I need to restart both routers every time. It looks the buffer over-flow.

Is anyone help me how to make VPN connection always on or I have to buy another routers such as Cisco, Netscreen or Fortinet? Which one is better? I only need VPN for my datbase server connect from NY to LA.

Thanks

CC929

I am up against many issues dealing with VPN's. I use the following questions when troubleshooting some of these issues. there are over 55,000 users in my enterprise, so this is just a few. Chief among them is:
1. Type of service; DSL, Cable, WAP, Frame.
2. Is there a firewall at your router?
3. Is there a firewall at your ISP's first WAN stop?
4. What ports are you opening at the VPN tunnel?
5. What does your ISP open for IP - UDP?
6. Are the forward and reverse lookups correct for iterative and recursive resolution within the DNS?
7. Are you doubling the NAT, through DMZ, and your ISP?

adlantic,

Thanks & I will find out the answers soon.

CC929

As for the dropping of VPN connections on the RV082. Contact Linksys and ask for firmware v.1.1.3. Its not available for download on thier site, but it can be had from thier tech support. It directly deals with the dropping of the tunnel. It has worked for me with 18 out of 18 of my devices.

cwebbsr,

I took your advice and contacted Linksys Technical support. They insist that no firmware beyond 1.1.1 exists. Since I am using the 1.1.1 firmware and still experience the VPN Tunnel Drop and other issues, I was hoping to get Linksys to share the 1.1.3 wealth with me. Unfortunately, they don't seem to know of its existence.

Is there a trick to getting them to provide this firmware? To whom did you speak? Would you be willing to provide the firmware to me? If not, I understand.

I'm just trying to get this router up to speed, so I can deploy it to client locations.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back