Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Configuration question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisM

MIS
Nov 2, 2001
US
I'm having some problems setting up VPN on a Cisco 1601 router. The router is connected directly to the Internet and the Ethernet interface is attached to another router on my internal network. This router is basically acting as a firewall/Internet Router (With NAT enabled) and hopefully a VPN server.

I can get the client to connect to the Serial interface, it gives me the proper IP address, and sets everything up (Wins, DNS, etc) but then I cannot ping anything on either my local network, or the other side of the VPN tunnel.

I'm useing IOS 12.2(8)T, and the 3.5.1 client. Is there anywhere I can look for sample VPN configurations, or does anyone have any ideas as to what the issue might be?

Thanks in advance,
Travis.

Okay. I've got the tunnel working correctly now, but the issue seems to be with NAT. I can only ping address that have a static translation to the outside world. I have address 192.168.1.4 and 92.168.1.2 staticly translated out, as well as a NAT pool of address for outbound access. I can ping the 1.4 and 1.2 address through tthe tunnel, but they reply with the outside interface addresses. I have tried the following commands to stop NAT translation:

ip nat inside source route-map nonat interface Serial1.1 overload
(Serial1.1 is my outside interface)

access-list 110 deny ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 192.168.6.0 0.0.0.255
access-list 110 permit ip 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255 any
!
route-map nonat permit 10
match ip address 110

My VPN address pool is in the 192.168.6.0 range, and all my inside subnets are 192.168.x.x.

Have I messed something up here? Can anyone see what's wrong with this config that it's not stoping NAT translation for that address pool?

Thanks,
-Travis.

Okay here's where i'm at;
I've set up a tightvnc server in my private network.
I have a remote client hooked to the internet via dial up, he/she has downloaded and installed tightvnc also.
here is the kicker.
My net is comprised of private address's. beind a cisco router which provided internet access vis a frac/T1.

how do i get the router to let the tight vnc connection happen? I know port forwarding is probbable the answer, but to be honest i used cisco config maker to set the router up and am not really versed in cisco router configurations via telnet or hyperterm. as a side note, I am trying desperatly to get the remote user to go to some type of broadband connection so i have one ip address to work with, this seems a little more secure to me. I dint want my Lan hanging out waiting for someone wiling/able to do as they may. are these concerns valid? the router config is below.

Router#show running-config
Building configuration...

Current configuration:
!
version 12.0
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log uptime
service password-encryption
!
hostname hostname
!
no logging console
enable password removed
!
ip subnet-zero
no ip domain-lookup
ipx routing removed
!
!
!
interface Ethernet0
description connected to EthernetLAN
ip address 10.222.XXX.XXX 255.255.XXX.XXX
no ip directed-broadcast
ip nat inside
ipx network XX
!
interface Serial0
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
shutdown
! not sure this even need to be here as frame relay is no longer used
interface Serial1
no ip address
no ip directed-broadcast
encapsulation frame-relay IETF
service-module t1 remote-alarm-enable
frame-relay lmi-type ansi
!
interface Serial1.1 point-to-point
description connected to internet
bandwidth 1536
ip address 65.197.XXX.XXX 255.255.XXX.XXX
no ip directed-broadcast
ip nat outside
ipx network 9999
frame-relay interface-dlci 500
!
router rip
version 2
passive-interface Serial1.1
network 10.0.0.0
no auto-summary
!
ip nat pool router-natpool-1 65.197.XXX.XXX 65.197.XXX.XXX netmask 255.255.XXX.XXX
ip nat inside source list 1 pool router-natpool-1 overload
ip nat inside source static 10.222.XXX.XXX 65.197.XXX.XXX
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial1.1
!
access-list 1 permit 10.222.XXX.XXX 0.0.0.XXX
access-list 100 permit udp any eq rip any eq rip
access-list 101 permit tcp any any established
!
!
ipx router rip
no network 9999
!
!
!
snmp-server community public RO
banner motd ^C the ususal stuff about connecting^C
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
password removed
login
transport input none
line 1
line vty 0 4
password removed
login
!
end

Any thoughts/ideas are greatly appreciated!!

TB

Dang!!!! i guess i need to pay attention to what i'm doing sorry, this was intended as a new post.

TB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back