Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Clients can no longer browse the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudflap

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
CA
Users have been connecting through VPN for years.
We recently had a problem with internal browsing. A linux pc took over as Master browser that problem is fix and browsing has been restored. But when you dial in or use highspeed vpn you can no longer browse the network.
You can get mail, internet, intranet and other various programs work fine. You cannot us a unc name to browse to a server either.

Any ideas I can look for. I am desparate.
Winnt servers 2000 and NT Clients.
Nothing has changed on the firewall.

Peter

Well if everything still works, except the unc path.... I am assuming that IP addresses are the same? It is a name resolution problem. Try enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP for the clients. Are the clients receiving IPs from a static pool or DHCP? Does the DHCP scope have a WINS server, and are they receiving the address?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

They are recieving an IP from the ISP Dhcp. Clients
are set to use our DNS and wins servers as we need them
to browse our intranet.

Should have to touch NETBios over TCP/IP because it worked before with or without it.. Not sure what we are set at right now.

Thanks

That seems strange that they get an IP from an ISP. Does the ISP handle all your IPs?
Anyway, if they can browse your Intranet, they should be resolving names. Have a client run an NSLOOKUP and see what it gives you....
Definately seems weird...

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

No the ISP only handles our dialin users.

NSLookup works just fine.
It is a an odd problem my laptop dials in but doesn't see the network, my test laptop dials in and can see the network. I can't seem to see the difference between the two.

Any ideas? I don't believe it on the client end but you never know .. I change all internal and external clients.
To not be Domain browser and also no to be a backup browser.
Thought that might be the problem but I changed the laptops back and still the same issue. For some reason when they call for the list its like it is timing out.

Thanks
Peter

Take back that nslookup part. It doesn't work get the following error.

DNS request time out, timeout was 2 seconds.

I get that when I nslookup our PDC.
Internally it works fine this is only dialed up.

zPeter

I have a simlar problem, although my setup is brand new and has never worked.

My DHCP is supplying primary and secondary dns and wins but I cannot resolve netbios names.

As a workaropund I have to use a lmhosts file.

No one with some suggestions!!

Please

Peter

Do an IPCONFIG /ALL from both the test laptop and the non-working one. Are all the settings showing up the same?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back