Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Client with Win2K & LInksys router.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragothba

Programmer
Nov 28, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a Win2K box with a Nortel Connectivity VPN s/w 4.15. I use ATT Boadband cable with a Linksys(VPN Supported) router with ports 500 and 1723 routed to my internal static IP 500 and 1723 respectively. I run the Nortel COnnectivilty s/w as an interactive application(not service).

I succesfully connect and i can see the IP's that are assigned to me. But in about 10-20sec I get the error "The Routing table cannot be altered after the VPN connection has been established. The connectivity VPN has been closed"

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
B

Have you found the answer to this issue. I am getting dropped with the same message (The routing table cannot be altered after Contivity...) but drop always occurs after 10 min. and 30 seconds

I am having the same problem, but it does not happen that quickly. Are you using the linksys WRT54G wirless router? This all started for me after I changed from the standard 4 port router to the wirless. I am not sure if it happens when directly connected to the router vs the wireless card, need to test it out.

DaJuish

Have you tried running as the service instead of application ? I run the Nortel 262-460 version at work through Linksys routers for all different users we have.I have never seen this error. I have used the regular 4 port wireless and the VPN linksys.

Try running the 2.62.33 Nortel client - it does not include the functionality that gives the routing table error message.

And where would I be able to find the older version of the Nortel client?

Thanks!

I have the same problem running Windows XP using Contivity VPN client V_04.15.14. My laptop running W2K has no problem at all using V_02.62.33. Is the old version support XP? And where we can download the old version VPN?

Hi group,
does anybody know where I can doanload vpn client version V_02.62.33?

I have just resolved this problem on my Win2k box. Check the services that are running. If "Routing and Remote Access" service is running try stopping/disableing this service. This service is only needed if the machine is acting as a router for your network.

Hope this helps...

I fixed it!!! Extranet Client error message: "The routing table cannot be altered after the Extranet connection has been established".

I had 2 computers both setup the same using Windows 2000 SP3. Only one had the problem. I noticed when using the intranet to get my mail (hotmail) or sending mail from my local internet provider I would recieve the error message.

I added the following in my registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters

I added the line: PerformRouterDiscovery DWORD value 0

Then reboot.

I also noticed that just setting the EnableICMPRedirect DWORD to 0 Also works but I think that is over kill. I would only do this if the first solution does not work.

Good luck

Thanks very much to traderlee for posting the tip, it cured the problem I've been fighting for over a week.

In my case, I was trying to VPN into another county network (with their blessing) and after 5 minutes, the VPN session disconnected -- every time. The box I'm using runs Win 2K Pro SP3, pretty much bare-bones. There was no network issue on the remote end, and only our ATM router between me and the internet.

After putting the registry hack in place, I was able to get a solid, uninterrupted connection.

Thanks again! [smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back