Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN client - "Contivity VPN Connection" lost - what to check? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssteph

MIS
May 2, 2003
AU
Hi there, I am hoping someone will be able to help me before I have to take the painful step of having my PC rebuilt (not knowing if this will fix the problem either).

I have had a VPN Client installed which worked (4.15.4). Then I upgraded to 4.60.15 and it hasn't worked since. (I have re-installed 4.15 and it doesn't work now either). I am running W2K. The error I get is : " The secure Contivity VPN connection has been lost. Click connect to re-establish the connection."

The log from the 4.60.15 install shows NameSrvr adding the DNS servers and then "Failover list set to none". The next line states : "Isakmpd : F : The secure Contivity VPN connection has been lost. etc ".

Other people in my area connect ok with the same VPN version. My authentication is not an issue. It's gotta be something on my laptop that's causing this !

The desktop people in my company are unable to help me (they have little experience to go on). I am finding it hard to accept that a complete rebuild of the PC is necessary simply because the VPN software won't work.

Is there anything on my laptop that I should "tweak" first that might be causing this ? It almost seems like something needs to be "cleared" or "reset" but I have no idea what ?

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted - and I won't blame anyone if the laptop karks it ! I am not a full scale techie PC person but can follow reasonable instructions. (Obviously changes to anything outside my PC are not an option).

cheers SSteph

Ssteph,
Haven't really seen this problem before, but what I might try (you might have already done this).
Start>Settings>Network and Dial-up Connections. Right click on the vpn connnection and choose Properties. Compare yours to someone elses that works.
I also had setup my VPN switch to only accept a specific version of the Nortel client, but you say others with your version can connect just fine so that would eliminate this as a possible cause. Good luck

We have had similar issues with Contivity Client - we have since upgraded to version 4_65.18 and it has been much better. Also double check that 'disable keep alives' is checked off - open VPN connect window - Options, Disable keep alives.

Ssteph - what are you using to connect via VPN? Cable, DSL? Who is the ISP Vendor?

thanks for the responses 1911man and niemis.

Two connections are from our internal network thru to the client. We should also be able to connect to our own VPN across the internal network as well , so I've been told. I have also tried using VPN after connecting via the remote access software (GRAS) dialling in via my modem to my company's proscribed dialin numbers - also with no luck. No idea who the vendor is.

I had desktop have a play with my DNS settings etc and also tried using a static IP on my PC just in case it was my DHCP leased IP that was the issue (for whatever reason) - unfortunately still no go.

Now ... I didn't realise that the "disable keepalive" was a per connection setting and will see if this helps now I have disabled it on all that I have previously tried. I had tried this before but didn'tundertand that it was per connection basis and may not have done it properly. Need to test again when I have some time - will let you know.

Hi there
Disabling keepalive on each connection didn't make any difference.
Finally bit the bullet and had my laptop completely rebuilt ... VPN now works. Arrrgggh!!! :-D
Thanks for the help anyhow.
Ssteph.

hi there ssteph,
i know where you're coming from, i had to do the same thing with a Win98 box, now i have the same prob with a Win2k box, not looking forward to it because it belongs to a client

cheers

I wonder if you might have installed a Brother All-in-One printer? I had a user experience this same thing after he installed one of those printers, removing the software and printer solved the issue.

Regards ...

Hi JoeJustJoe
Strangely enough ... I DO have a Brother MFP installed !!
I had the laptop rebuilt (as per above) and VPN worked fine again for about 3 days and then, same problem. I'm not sure of the time difference between my installing the printer and VPN not working though. (This was a little while ago now).
I have taken your advice and uninstalled the printer (& rebooted etc) but VPN is still not working.
I will get another rebuild done - and will install the printer first thing to see if it is the cause of the problem. The desktop guys are anxious to find out the cause as well.
Certainly seems like you may have hit on something though.
Thanks very much for posting your reply. Once I get a rebuild done and test it out I'll respond here and let you know how it went.

Cheers
Steph

Thanks, JoeJustJoe. I had the same issue with my Contivity VPN. I tried everything -- except uninstalling my Brother MFP. I uninstalled the Brother MFP, uninstalled Contivity -- and TunnelGuard --, rebooted, and re-installed. Works like a charm. I sort of wish I found this link 3 weeks ago.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back