Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Client Malformed Message using a Sonicwall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brymore

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
GB
I have set up Sonicwall VPN client ver 8.0 on a Dell Dimension under Windows 98 SE, using an ISDN dial up connection. The machine has an Eicon Diva ISDN card and a Dlink network card (DFE 530 TX) installed. When trying to establish a VPN link with my office through a SonicWall SOHO3 the machine nearly always fails to establish a link. The log shows the following message:

Received malformed message or negotiation no longer active

The frustrating part is that sometimes the link is established.

I also have a Dell portable with the same setup that manages to use the same ISP and settings to connect. This machine has a Xircom ISDN adapter and a Xircom network card.

Can anyone help in pointing me to what the problem is ?

We are having similar problems with SonicWall and ISDN and VPN - but with MS Outlook.It seems that the problem is not uncommon and is related to the IP packet size being sent via the RAS server being too large for Outlook. You can try setting lower MTU values on your RAS.

and the Knowledge Base article referred to:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back