Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn client can't see network 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

elgato1906

Technical User
Nov 9, 2000
US
I recently setup a VPN using RAS and PPTP on an NT server running service pack 5. I can access my network from outside but I can't see any of the computers on the network in network neighborhood. If I go to find a computer and type in the IP of the server I can then access all the files on that server, but every time I reconnect I have to do it all over again. Is this because I didn't enable IP forwarding?

Thank you

You cannot browse the computer over VPN like you do in peer to peer network. You can see them using find command. Also try mapping.

pankaj_india@yahoo.com

Your (unnamed) client probably has no access to NetBIOS name resolution. Try enabling "Use DHCP for WINS Resolution" or add your WINS server address in Network Properties.

First thing you want to do is to make sure your client is running the same protocols as all of the other (i.e. TCPIP NetBIOS IPX/SPX) machines on the network. Setup WINS services on the NT server. Go to networks on your client computer and under TCP/IP (*TCP/IP bound to the VPN adapter) enable WINS resolution. Make sure you put the IP address of the server on which you installed WINS services in the search order*. Now when you are connected to the server you should be able to see all of the computers under network neighborhood.

optidigix
Thank you for your help. As soon as I made the changes to my TCP/IP VPN binding the network came right up.

There is another way that you can see the network neighborhood by adding lmhosts file to the workstation.
We are presenting using this to resovle that problem.

How does one add lmhosts file to a workstation? Please explain. I am having problems browsing my network once connected.

Thanks in advance.

You can add an lmhosts file to an NT system by going to dir /winnt/system32/drivers/etc/. On a WinX system the lmhosts file is in the /windows dir. There is a sample host file in both dirs, I believe, lmshosts.sam. Follow the directions and add in your PDC,WINS,DNS and other servers. Using a #PRE statement will pre-load your servers and make them readily accessible when you do connect to the network. It can pre-load the domain using the #DOM. This can be observed by opening a command prompt and typing nbtstat -c when the cache is refreshed or the system is rebooted. This will show all netbios systems that are cached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back