Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Client are getting all scopes from our DNS except one scope with 192.168.0.X

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaierIT

IS-IT--Management
Nov 4, 2005
US
Hello Techs, this is acutally the last step to one of my projects but I can not figure out. Below is a quick snap shot of our network.

Main Office (LAN): 10.10.x.x/16 (RRAS, DNS)
Remote Office 1 (LAN): 10.11.x.x/16
Remote Office 2 (LAN): 10.135.1.x/24
Remote Office 3 (LAN): 192.168.99.x/24

Note that Main Office and Remote Office 1 are interconnected with a PPP. They share the same DNS but each have their own DHCP. Authtication happens at Main Office for all our branches.

Remote office 2 and 3 are connected to Main Office through the same private tunnel.

The issue I am having is when a user working from home connects to our VPN (RRAS server is in Main Office), the user from home can see all offices with no problem exect for Remote Office 3.

In our DNS I setup scopes for each office and on our RRAS i setup static routes for each location. If on the VPN software i setup "all traffic through" vpn tunnel then everything works fine and I am able to see Remote Office 3. But I need split tunneling so this is not an option.

For some reason i think that our DNS is not passing the 192.168.99.x to our VPN users. Only issue is with the 192.168.99.x, but all the other scopes are setup the same way in our DNS. If i setup a persistant route for Remote Office 3 then everything works fine. But I do not want to setup persistant route for the entire company.

Why am i having issues sending 192.168.99.x traffic through our VPN? Is it something with 192.168 being a commmon ip scheme? Please help. Much appricated.

Sounds on first glance like an issue with encryption domains.

If you allow all traffic through the vpn and it works then in principle all the other network settings are correct.

You haven't said much about the VPN details but you'll need an encryption domain for each subnet which I assume is what you've done. Depending on the hardware you're using this could be as simple as a type, lack of compatibility, missing shared key (some devices set up an "aggregated tunnel" under some circumstances though it doesn't sound like this is one of those.

Have you tried a single tunnel just for the 192.168.99.x/24 ? If that doesn't work then it's just possible there's a gateway or subnet problem at site 3 (for example if the home user is on 192.168.1.x/24 and the clients at site 3 are incorrectly configured as 192.168.99.x/8 or /16 they may not be sending data back to the default gateway.

Hope this is of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back