Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN client access from Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil2602

IS-IT--Management
Feb 3, 2003
GB
I have recently installed a Broadband router at home connecting my desktop and laptop to it. While the internet access is working fine from both machines, I am not able to access my work email messages via the VPN.

This VPN access to email was working via dial-up access prior to the installation of the broadband router. Despite numerous discussins with the help desks invovled I am still in this position.
The desktop running Windows 98 works fine.
The laptop running Windows 2000 does not. Error message 721 - remote computer is not responding. I can ping the VPN server without any problem and have tried creating a new VPN connection from the laptop with no success.
Has anyone come across this before?
thanks,
Neil

Are you using the native Microsoft client to connect? I think I see a 'yes' in your original post, but not sure.

What protocol is being used -- PPTP, IPSEC, L2TP?

How are you sharing your internet connection? Router (which one) or ICS (throught the W2K machine)?

If you try to ping the VPN server, what do you get?

Mark,
thanks for reply:
it is using native Microsoft client to connect.

In terms of the protocol I think it is set to "Automatic" - the alternative is to select either PPTP or L2TP.

The router is a DSL504 connected to broadband - (Freedom2surf)

If I ping the server I get a response saying:
pinging server....
reply from.... 4 times
and then statistics that I've sent 4 packets and received 4 packets - 0% loss; average response time 50ms.

thanks much for your help!

when i was setting up remote access to our vpn at work i got that message a couple of times. on one occasion it came down to configuring the firewall on the client (adding the vpn server ip address to the trusted zone).

it also came up on one other occasion, and if i remember right that was solved by adding the ip address of the vpn server to the DNS and WINS section of that clients vpn connection.

maybe this will help.

I have tried the suggestions you make in terms of the firewall and adding the ip address of the VPN to the DSN and WINS secton of the client connection but to no avail. Thanks anyway. Any ideas where I should go from here for help? Getting desperate!

I have been trying to set up a VPN connection into a Win200 Pro desktop. The help file says I can have three in coming connections on Win 2000 Pro (one each from modem, direct connnection and VPN) but when I run the Add New Connection wizard, I can only see the Direct Parallel Connection Port. I have started the Routing and Remote Access service. Do I have to do something else? I have set up VPN on RAS servers on Win 200 servers with no problems, but sorry Neil2602, I have no ideas on your problem.

neil2602,

I just wrote a FAQ that details my experience with what sounds like a similar problem. We just set up a VPN at work and were having problems getting everything to work over DSL. My VPN FAQ is faq463-3139. I hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back