Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN choice greyed out...XP Home..new connection wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajharn

IS-IT--Management
Jun 8, 2002
US
I'm sure there is a simple answer to this one, but haven't been able to find it.

On of my home users has XP Home and needs to connect to the VPN. I have her fire up the new connection wizard and choose "Connect to the network at my workplace" on page 2 then hit next...Page 3 has the choices:
"Dial Up Connection"
"Virtual Private Network Connection"

Both choices are greyed out, and the "Next" button is greyed out.

Why?

I assume something is not installed that should be, but everything I see tells me that the VPN and Dial-Up Networking are installed by default on XP, nor can I found a way to add them to an installation.

She has a broadband connection (cable). She has only one NIC. Her internet connections seems standard and is working normally. She does have File and Print Sharing turned off.

TIA for any thought.

-AJ

Follow-up...

After continued Googling I have run across what is possibly (I won't go as far as probably) the cause.

...references a situation that results in the Remote Access Connection Manager and the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager services being disabled and/or unable to start (semantics, I know).

I have confirmed that this condition exixts on the PC in question. My only problem with the explanation offered by MS is that I find it very hard to believe that the user in question has ever tried to perform the specified upgrades or a system restore. But, one never knows.

If you have different (and better) experiences w/ this problem, I'd still love to hear from you.

Thanks,
-AJ

Hmmm, when you open up 'new connection' do you get an option to enter your local area code? In XP Pro, If i cancelled out of the area code selection dialog, it would automatically make the vpn connection unselectable.

Dont know if it helps

-Jamieson

Something obviously has become screwed up. This can usually be resolved by installing/reinstalling Service Pack 1 for Windows XP. Rather large tho i'm afraid at ~137MB.

Cheers

Mark

I had the same problem and I found this website showing which services to enable. Look at section 1.2 and start those service and it will work, just did mine moments ago.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back