Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN, can ping but can't join the domain, using ipsec.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhope

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
I have created a VPN using Lucient IPSEC client, sure connect manager and pipeline 50. When I enable the VPN tunnel, I can ping the private IP address of the NT 4.0 server but cannot join my single remote win2k computer to the domain. I get the following error, "DNS name does not exist."(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.procida."

I have only created a user account on the server, is there anything else i need to do at the server to allow the remote client to join the domain?

Try ipconfig /displaydns and nslookup command to see whether your system has the correct DNS records. It maybe necessary to run ipconfig /registerdns and ipconfig /flushdns as it purges the DNS Resolver cache. If all fails input dns server ip's manually.

If you have a firewall disable it .......

if your OS is windows xp check the firewall option or if you have norton personal firewall or the mcafee one disable it

I solved it!!! What I needed to do is create a LMhost file on the computer I was using to access the vpn and enter the ip address of the server I was trying to access.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back