Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Browsing with 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckrlp1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2002
US
I am running W2k Server AD Domain at two different locations. I have two Linksys VPN routers for the gateways at each location. I have a Gateway to Gateway VPN setup with the routers and it is connected fine. The problem is that I can see all the nodes from both locations when I browse the network but if you click on a node from the other location I get the error 'NETWORK PATH NOT FOUND'. You cannot browse using UNC either \\server\share or \\192.168.1.xxx\share. Any suggestions?

You may need a wins server or use a host file to find the objects across you WAN.

John

See if you have Netbios over tcpip checked on your network cards. If you do then check and see in the Linksys router if there is a option to enable netbios resolution. Seems to me that the router is not configured correctly to let this traffic through.

I do have a wins server at each location. I imported a hosts file with the main servers mapped out at each location and it still doesn't work. The router should be passing everything through the tunnel so I don't see how the router configuration would play a part in it. If I do port forwarding for netbios ports 138,139, 445 that would be for traffic outside the tunnel, correct? I also verified netbios over TCP/IP was check, that was one of my first steps. I am stummped, I really thought the hosts file would work, but it didn't. Is there a better way I should go about this? My main goal is to be able to replicat and join 2000 domian controllers over the vpn. Can I do this through port forwarding and over the public wan and still stay encrypted? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks to all for the replies, no one ever replied to my posts in the MS support groups.

On most routers there is a setting in the router setup that you can check enable Netbios resolution. I am not sure bout the Linksys router. On the routers that I use there is a setting in the VPN part where you can check or uncheck disable or enable Windows Networking(Netbios) broadcast. I had a situation at a location where I could ping and see all the machines but when I went to browse shares it would return the message that you described above. I would check with Linksys to see if their routers have some setting like this. Seems to me that this is where your problem lies. What kind of linksys router are you using?
You have two networks that are connected by VPN. Do you have two separate networks?
Ex: network1 192.168.0.1
ex: network2 192.168.1.1
If you go out to dos can you ping by ip address or by name?

Sorry for all the ?'s just need a little more info.

Sorry for the late reply, I will give more info and try what you suggest, I am currently working an Exchange issue. I will reply with more later, Thanks...

Ok, that is also strange, I cannot ping any of the nodes either. So I can see the nodes but cannot browse or ping them. ??? The routers I am using are the BEFVP41, I called Linksys and they said they cannot offer any help because it is a Network issue since the VPN is actually connected and working. Both networks are the same scheme 192.168.1.X and I verified I was not duplicating IP's. Do you think there is something I need to do to put the routers and servers in some sort of IPSEC policy???

This looks like routing. If you have 192.168.1.0/24 at both ends the address range conflict will prevent forwarding to the default gateway. Do a "route print" to check this.

Yes packethead is correct! See my above post. You need two separate networks to route all the traffic to the correct spots. Network1 and Network2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back