Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn browse problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcostanz

Programmer
May 24, 2001
US
I can connect and logon to the nt server. I can access the shared drives on the NT server. I cannot access any shared drives thru the vpn on any other computer.

I cannot see the server or any other computer from network neighborhood while connected.

I have a Win ME pc attached to a linksys router to a cable modem as the client.
The server is running NT 4 with a linksys router to a DSL line.

I can search and net use the shared drives on the server but not on any other computer on the network.

What is causing this?

Thanks Jeff.

Go to Control Panel | Networking, click on the Services tab, highlight Remote Access Service and click on the Properties button.
Highlight the VPN port you are dialing to, and click on the network button. Click on the Configure button next to the protocol (TCP/IP), under 'Allow remote TCP/IP clients to access', check Entire Network.

Cheers.

Is this the same for 2000? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

I have checked the setting, and it was set to allow entire network, I also added the netbeui and set it to allow entire network. I still cannot connect or see any other computers on the network other than the server.
Are there any other ideas?

Thanks.

I am having a similar problem using Win2k Server and a Microsoft ISA Server as a Firewall - the clients get in, but can only access the server. Attempts to ping any other machines result in one reply - the first one - and then all others time out. The client and server can ping each other fine.

I have now seen this question asked - but never answered - several times on more than one VPN forum, why does nobody know the answer? What did we do that was so very wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gav.

You either have a routing issue or a Name resolution issue

You have a link to the VPN server, but nothing is being routed beyond the server. As different ends of the VPN run on different subnets, broadcast/non-routable based protocols are useless (IE NetBIOS - use NetBT)

Try and ping one of the other machines by IP address. If this fails, check the VPN client for a valid route through the server (ROUTE PRINT) and that the other machines have a route back. Try TRACERT (dos) to see where the ping is lost.

If you have a DHCP server you can use that to set up all the machines with working routes when they boot up.

If the Ping does work, you have a name resolution problem.
The best way to have NT based computers see over a VPN link is to use the WINS protocol, or DNS if you prefer.

To 'see' computers by name over a VPN you need to have a WINS server and set it up in the remote client's TCP-IP settings. This will then allow the remote client to get a list of all machines registered on the WINS server.

I am pretty certain it is a routing problem..... is the server set up for RRAS? although VPN software usually creates routes for you, try ROUTE PRINT when the VPN is running.

Either way, I had similar issues setting up 3 seperate VPN's.

HTH
Tels Mixed Linux/Win2000 Network Administrator

Your right this topic is one that just keeps coming up Microsoft seems to just use the run the wizzard line and that didnt even come close to what I had to do for the VPN to work on my network. The first lesson I leaned was not to use the wizard manually configure your vpn settins. This link is a good starting point for that

But I still had the issues of not seeing the rest of my network nor could I ping the other machines on the network only the vpn servers WAN side card not the LAN side. (Just incase you are wondering I am running all win2000 machines and XP professional machines with AD setup and connecting to the net with DSL and static IPs) To get where I could ping other machines on the network I had to setup an internal static route from the Internal interface to my LAN side NIC cards IP address. The gateway will also be the LANs IP address. This got me to where I could ping the network and even see other machines in my domain with my laptop wich is a domain member. ( I was testing over a dial up modem but to browse the VPN I had to disable my local area connection. ) From my home machine (XP Pro linksys cable modem router) I still could not see the other machines on the network but I could ping them. So I changed the work group my home computer was in to match the name of my companies domain name and I am now able to see the entier network.

I hope this is helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back