Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN between cisco and 3com routers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadell

Instructor
Sep 13, 2001
ES
is it possible to make a VPN connection between a cisco router 7204 and 3com router 812????
if it's possible, tell me some tips to begin with this configuration.

thanks for your time Christian Adell tl06530@salleurl.edu

Sure, All you need to do is have the right ports open and your are on your way. You didn't provide much information. Depending on your networks config and things such as firewalls, proxies, and VPN server types you may have some work to do. First you need to have administrative access the both routers. If you don't have that then you need someone who does. Pick a VPN server type and protocol. There are a number of software and hardware based VPN servers. Then your protocol. Most popular are PPTP and L2TP. L2TP is more secure. After this part is done I would have to write a book to walk thru the steps of configuring each router and the servers. If you have more details I will check back and see if you have posted them.

In fact, i have administrative access to both routers, and my question is this:
Only with the routers can I make VPN connections? or it is necessary to introduce some elements like firewalls, VPN software servers(like win2k),...
My first purpose is to use only routers to make a tunnel between two remote networks, I know its possible using Cisco routers but I don't know if it's possible with another vendors.

Which do you things is the best option implementing VPNs? I know that it depends on network, but in general, which is usually preferred? Christian Adell tl06530@salleurl.edu

I remember reading an article about Cisco vpns from router to router. Although the protocols are standard I believe Cisco has added a little something special. Even If they could create a connection what would you use for authentication? I have always used a back end server or hardware based VPN concentrator for VPN. I don't have much expertise in router to router VPN's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back